Description of Event
Summer Reading begins June 15, and this year's theme is "Find Your Voice!"
Summer Reading for Youth
Littles (ages 0 to 5), Kids (ages 6 to 12), and Teens (ages 13 to 18) can participate. Register with Beanstack and sign up for the reading program for your age group. Log the minutes you read in the Beanstack app or on your bookmark! The goal of Summer Reading is to log 10 hours (600 minutes) of reading between June 15 and August 15 (that’s only 20 minutes a day for 30 days!). But more important than the number of minutes read is encouraging a love of reading and life-long learning. This year, everyone who participates in Summer Reading has a chance to win prizes! The more minutes you read, the more tickets you can earn for Raffle Prizes.
- Register for Summer Reading and receive a free book! You can register online in Beanstack or stop by the library!
- Complete the Survey (after August 1) to finish Summer Reading, earn 2 tickets for the Prize Raffle, a second free book, and a mini eraser.
- Read 300 minutes and earn 2 more tickets, plus a free ticket to the Oregon State Fair and a Trailblazers free ticket bookmark to redeem after September 30.
- Read 600 minutes (10 hours), earn 4 more tickets and choose a mini stuffed parrot!
Summer Reading For Adults
Adult Summer Reading is June 15 to August 15. Log the pages you read and/or read challenge books to earn raffle tickets to win prizes. Log into Beanstack for all the details and get started today. If you are not able to use Beanstack, come into the library and ask for a paper log to participate.
- First day to sign up for Summer Reading: June 15
- Last day to sign up: July 30
- First day to collect finisher prizes: August 1
- Last day of summer reading: August 15
- Raffle Drawing: August 16, 1 p.m.
Wednesday Summer Reading Programs
Wednesday programs run 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
- June 21 Stuffie Storytime and Sleepover Bring your second favorite teddy or stuffie for silly stories, songs and a craft with Ms. Deborah. Then your stuffie will stay overnight for a special sleepover at the library. For ages 4 to 10, pre-registration required, 25 spots.
- June 28 Jugglemania! JuggleMania’s “hilarity & dexterity” has taken him to over 30 countries in pursuit of applause and giggles. With his pal StunTeddy, JuggleMania shares the books and toys that took them to Egyptian tombs, across frozen ocean and into the Caroni swamp in search of adventure.
- July 5 Oregon Bird Man A colorful and unforgettable experience featuring parrots from four continents, including Conures, Cockatoos, Macaws, and more! Learn about Psittacines (parrots),most of which are endangered species, their unique behaviors, and responsible pet ownership from animal behaviorist and wildlife educator, Karl Anderson.
- July 12 Cool Crayfish Get up close to observe crayfish in a hands-on program with Rick Reynolds, M.S.Ed. Explore native and invasive species and the roles they play in freshwater ecosystems, like rivers and lakes. Look at crayfish and mosquito larvae under magnification and explore how to keep our freshwater ecosystems and communities healthy.
- July 19 McIver Rangers Ranger Brandon from Milo McIver Oregon State Park returns with a new program of interactive animal storytelling.
- July 26 Needle-Felted Toucan with Emily Create a Chibi (small) toucan bird using colorful natural wool fibers. Sharp needles are used. For ages 10 and up, pre-registration required, 20 spots. This program runs 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- August 2 Shark Shenanigans Join the Oregon Coast Aquarium for a myth busting celebration of sharks! Test your shark smarts and learn how you can help these incredible predators.