ADU Related Questions

How can I obtain additional information on ADUs?

For the complete listing of requirements for accessory dwelling units please refer to EMC Chapter 16.61 – Accessory Dwelling Units.

ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) Application (PDF) - LINK NOT FOUND

Can I convert my existing accessory structure into an ADU?

An existing garage structure or other outbuilding may be converted to an ADU, provided that the structure complies with the setback standards for the primary structure as prescribed in the underlying zone, applicable building codes, and all other standards in EMC Chapter 16.61.

ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) Application (PDF) - LINK NOT FOUND

What are the required setbacks for an ADU?

The minimum side and rear yard setbacks for a detached ADU shall be the same as for dwellings in the subject zone. However, if the ADU abuts an alley, the minimum rear yard setback is 5 feet.

ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) Application (PDF) - LINK NOT FOUND

Are there size limitations for an ADU?

Yes. An ADU can be no larger than 900 square feet. However, if an attached ADU (“accessory suite”) occupies the entire basement of a home, then it can be up to 1200 square feet. There is no minimum size for an ADU.

The maximum height for an ADU is the same as that for any other dwelling allowed in the zone.

ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) Application (PDF) - LINK NOT FOUND

Where can I build an ADU?

ADUs are allowed as accessory uses in all residential zones (R-1, R-2, and R-3 Zones), as well as the C-2 Commercial-Residential Zone, if in compliance with all of the development standards (such as setbacks, size, appearance, parking, etc.) contained in EMC Chapter 16.61, as well as those development and design requirements of the underlying zone.

I already have what I call an “ADU”. Do I need to seek City approval for what I already have?

Yes. A permit and approval from the City are necessary in order to ensure that occupied dwelling units are safe and comply with Building Code requirements and the ADU rules adopted by the City Council. An ADU is legal only with an established building permit and approved ADU application. If the City becomes aware of an unpermitted ADU, the City may compel the owner to cease using the dwelling unit, utilizing those remedies available per the Estacada Municipal Code.

ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) Application (PDF) - LINK NOT FOUND