I already have what I call an “ADU”. Do I need to seek City approval for what I already have?

Yes. A permit and approval from the City are necessary in order to ensure that occupied dwelling units are safe and comply with Building Code requirements and the ADU rules adopted by the City Council. An ADU is legal only with an established building permit and approved ADU application. If the City becomes aware of an unpermitted ADU, the City may compel the owner to cease using the dwelling unit, utilizing those remedies available per the Estacada Municipal Code.

ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) Application (PDF) - LINK NOT FOUND